The country in which your business operates is an integral component of the communication strategy, if you are thinking of growing your business on a global scale. In order for content on your website to reach recipients in different countries, you should ensure proper optimisation in terms of the Google search engine, i.e. SEO.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization, meaning optimisation of websites to match the guidelines of search engines, which covers activities aiming at adjusting your website, both in terms of the technical aspect and the content, to the requirements of a given search engine (usually Google, due to its popularity). Thanks to it, your website will be positioned in a better way, which means that it will be ranked on higher positions in the search results.
How does global positioning in Google work?
Depending on the language you use to type in a query, the search engine will return results in English, Polish, German, etc. Besides, your location is very important, and it affects the type of information displayed more than the language.
In the local scale, the residents of two different Polish cities will see different search results (e.g. when looking for a restaurant or a hairdresser), while in the global scale – people living in the UK, USA or New Zealand will obtain different information despite the fact that they all use the same language (English).
Creating a number of language versions for your website is just the starting point. If you wish the content to reach users of a particular language and in a given location (e.g. French speaking people living in Switzerland), only using the proper SEO techniques will make that possible.
What should be taken into account when preparing the SEO strategy?
Activities in terms of optimisation should be accompanied by a localisation strategy. This will enable you to find out what language your recipients use, where they live and most of all, you will create multilingual content for your website that will include the cultural specifics of a given market. Besides that, you should focus on the following:
- Developing a structure of website addresses on your site in the target language, so that they clearly indicate the targeted recipients (URL in English as a universal language will not always work). A separate domain for a given country or including different language versions in the subdomains may be another solution,
- Notifying the search engine in which particular subpages are available, by including the appropriate code in the website header (“hreflang” attributes are used for this purpose),
- Analysing keywords for each language – such words should be included in the website content so that it is positioned in a better way, with regard to the phrases important to you (do not only complete an analysis in one language, such as Polish or English and then translate into target languages). Keep in mind that the number of searches within one month for the same phrases in different countries and languages may significantly vary,
- Acquiring external links leading to your website, obtained from pages in different languages,
- Regularly creating interesting, professional content (e.g. in the form of a blog), in different languages, so that your recipients are happy to post links to such content, hence increasing the reach and SEO strength of your domain.
A well-thought-out strategy of developing your business on foreign markets, combined with technical expansion of the service and building communication based on localisation and SEO will certainly be a good solution, especially in the long perspective. We hope you achieve the biggest possible ROI!
At globtra you’ll find top translators and interpreters, who specialize in different areas, from art to rocket science.